Jean Perdrizet was born to schoolteacher parents in 1907 in Villers-la-Faye, near Dijon, eastern France. He obtained his bachelor’s degree in civil engineering in1931, then worked as a wartime field engineer from 1934–37. He later worked sporadically for Électricité de France, but in 1949 he stopped working completely because of mental health problems. Aged 48 and unmarried, he moved in with his parents in Digne-les-Bains, southeast France, where he worked in earnest on various inventions and designs for machines that he had been creating since the early 1930s.
Perdrizet sent some of his designs to the National Center of Scientific Research in France, various faculties of science, NASA and the Vatican, as well as to the Swedish Academy in the hopes of being awarded a Nobel prize for his innovations. Some scientists of his time, such as the Catalan mathematician José Argémi and the French neurophysiologist Jacques Paillard, were intrigued enough by his inventions to correspond with him.
His projects were all based on science, but they went far beyond the field of scientific research. He devoted his life to designing machines to communicate with the “souls” of the deceased, immaterial beings and aliens. Towards the end of his life, he began to invent a new form of communication: T Language. This, he believed, needed to become a new universal language.
Perdrizet believed that the world is full of immaterial beings that exist in the waves. As he said himself, “matter is a needle wave on a continent parallel to ours” (“puisque la matière est une qiguille d’onde du continent parallèle au nôtre”), so we need the machines to communicate with these invisible beings. He shared his theories with different scientists and some of them supported him, as with one radio engineer who told him, “The dead are trying to build machines to communicate with us” (“Les morts cherchent à constuire les machines pour communiquer avec nous”).
Caption: Untitled (Un robot ouvrier qui voit les formes par coupes de vecteurs en étoile), c. 1970, 25.6 x 15.75 ins. / 65 x 40 cm, collection Elisabeth and Christian Berst